St. Mary of the Oaks: Dane County Historical Society

Description:

On the brow of a hill, one-half mile east overlooking Indian Lake, rests a tiny stone chapel. The structure was built in 1857 by John Endres in fulfillment of a religious vow he made in return for protecting the lives of his family during a diphtheria epidemic. Aided by his son Peter, Endres hauled several tons of stone to the hilltop with an ox team. The building has been much venerated by local families for several generations. Family names identified with care of the chapel are Endres, Ballweg, and Marx. The chapel was formally dedicated by Archbishop Messmer in 1926. (Dane County Historical Society)

South off Hwy 19, E of Cty KP. Pull into the main entrance of Indian Lake Park. Marker is up a short set of stairs to the left of the parking area (facing the rear of the parking area). (Dane County Historical Society)
43.189617 -89.620417
Local Knowledge:

Directions

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

SIGN UP TO STAY IN TOUCH!
©2022 All Rights Reserved Gateway to The Driftless