Blue Mounds Fort: Dane County Historical Society

Description:

“The onset of the Black Hawk War in northwestern Illinois in April, 1832 triggered panic in southwestern Wisconsin’s lead mining region, prompting erection of over a dozen stockades. On an open prairie knoll 3/4 mile south of this marker, area miners and settlers who became part of Col. Henry Dodge’s militia built Blue Mounds Fort. Here the Hall sisters, survivors of the Indian Creek massacre, were released for ransom through Winnebago intercession. W.G. Aubrey, George Force and Emerson Green died in ambush attacks near the stockade. After the Battle of Wisconsin Heights, troops regrouped here. Despite repeated surrender attempts, Black Hawk’s band of Sac and Fox Indians was virtually annihilated at the junction of the Bad Axe and Mississippi Rivers August 2. Thus ended one Native American group’s efforts to escape the tragic consequences of white settlement. The heirs of Col. Ebenezer Brigham donated a portion of the Fort site to the State Historical Society in 1921.” (Dane County Historical Society)

At intersection of County Road ID & County Road F (Division St), at Blue Mounds welcome sign; on the left when traveling east on County Road ID.
43.015150 -89.826667
Local Knowledge:

Directions

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Gateway Weather
32° F
Overcast
Overcast
SIGN UP TO STAY IN TOUCH!
©2018 All Rights Reserved Gateway to The Driftless