Halfway Prairie School
Halfway Prairie School is the oldest rural elementary school in Dane County. This one-room school was operated from 1844 until it closed as a result of consolidation in 1961. It was given the name of Halfway Prairie because it was halfway between Mineral Point and Portage, a popular transportation route for early miners. Visitors may view the inside of the school in its authentically restored condition on holidays and Sunday afternoons. (Dane County Parks Department)
9770 State Highway 19Cross Plains, WI 53528
Holidays, Sunday afternoons 1PM - 5PM, Memorial Day through Labor Day
- Restrooms (Vault)
- Picnic Area
- Playground Area
This building is Dane County's oldest existing country schoolhouse. Repeated remodelings conceal an original framework of logs. The name Halfway Prairie was coined by early lead miners who often camped here when traveling from Mineral Point to Portage.