Old Halfway Prairie School: Dane County Historical Society

Description:

“This building is Dane County’s oldest existing country schoolhouse. Repeated remodelings conceal an original framework of logs. The land was donated for school purposes in 1844 by Mary Fowler, a widow and member of the British Temperance Immigration Society. The name Halfway Prairie was coined by early lead miners who often camped here when traveling from Mineral Point to Portage. The word Old was added in 1915 to distinguish from a later school. Early school terms were adjusted to the rhythms of season and farm work. The fall term closed with the first heavy snowfall and the spring term opened with the roads. Early teachers were paid $20 to $30 per month. Board and room cost $2.00 per month. The standard eight month term was adopted in 1895. In 1964 Dane County accepted land and buildings as a park site.” (Dane County Historical Society)

608-246-3896
9758 State Highway 19, Mazomanie, WI 53560
43.182145 -89.738676
Amenities:
  • Parking
  • Restrooms (Vault)
  • Picnic Area
  • Playground Area
Local Knowledge:
Photos:

Directions

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Gateway Weather
21° F
Clear
Clear
SIGN UP TO STAY IN TOUCH!
©2018 All Rights Reserved Gateway to The Driftless