Haney’s Tavern: Dane County Historical Society

Description:

“In 1838 at the foot of this bluff Berry Haney, a migrant from Cross Plains, Tennessee, established the Cross Plains Post Office in a log house. Early Cross Plains was the site of important military road crossings and Haney became the pioneer village’s best known settler. One mile east stands Haney’s Tavern, one of Dane County’s oldest existing buildings, later used as a farm home. The tavern, built from native stone, was erected for Haney in 1840 by the Birds, builders also of Madison’s first capitol. In the tavern Haney shot a workman named Pelkie–then nursed him back to health. By nature an adventurer, Haney joined the California gold rush in 1851. He returned to Cross Plains in 1853, deserted his wife, and moved to LeRoy, Kansas where he settled on a farm with a third wife. In 1858 Haney was shot to death in Kansas. Subsequent owners of the tavern building have borne the names of Arland, Sheasby, Cook, Pick, and Watson.” (Dane County Historical Society)

South of Highway 14 on County Road P, 0.3 miles south of U.S. 14, on the left when traveling south. (at approximately 4597 Cty Rd P).
43.107944 -89.646444
Local Knowledge:

Directions

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SIGN UP TO STAY IN TOUCH!
©2019 All Rights Reserved Gateway to The Driftless